What Qualifications do I Need?
In addition to academic qualifications, you will need:
- a strong interest in motor vehicle engineering and design
- good analytical skills and an innovative approach to problem solving
- excellent mathematical and IT skills
- the ability to analyse and interpret data
- excellent technical knowledge
- good communication and presentation skills
- the ability to prioritise and plan effectively
- the ability to work within budgetary constraints and to deadlines
- to be able to work as part of a team and take responsibility.
Engineering students can boost their chances of securing a good job after graduation by getting experience (internships / work placements) and by taking part in programmes like Formula SAE and the FISITA Student Congress.
Your national FISITA member society can provide more information about qualifications and training opportunities in your country. Most FISITA societies have student sections offering discounted or free membership for those in full-time education. Joining your local society is a great way to make contacts and move your career forward.